Diigo is an online research tool and collaborative research platform that integrates several key technologies, including social bookmarking, web annotation, tagging, and group-based collaboration. Diigo allows endless possibilities for learning by offering tools to annotate a webpage; highlighting options, floating sticky notes, comment options. These annotations can be kept private, shared with a group within Diigo or a special link forwarded to someone else.
The name “Diigo” is an acronym from “Digest of Internet Information, Groups and Other Stuff. Digital items can be organized by types, tags, and lists and searched by tags, titles or full-text. Digital items can be easily shared. Form groups to collaboratively pool resources and share findings, complete with annotations, by email, RSS feed, twitter, permalink, or widget.
Diigo provides the option for creating an educator account. Through the Educator Console, teachers can create private accounts for students, even without email addresses. Teachers can help keep individual student work well organized and provide public or private feedback. Students working in groups also have access to annotated work and comments.
- Create a free Diigo account.
- Install the Diigo toolbar to integrate into your instruction.
- As an option, click here for instructions to add Diigo app and highlighter.
- Sign in to Diigo and then apply for a Diigo Educator Account by following the directions.
- Once approved for an educator account, set up student accounts and create tags which students can use to categorize the sites they are finding. Every time students bookmarks a site, they will be able to choose from this tag dictionary. Alternatively, set up colleague accounts to share links for professional purposes.